Middle-earth Talk Radio Show 28 July 18 2010 With Music
Format: MP3 (192 kbps)
Duration: 1 hour 28 minutes 13 seconds.
Filesize: 121.2 MB (127,133,639 bytes)
Or you may download the older version, without any music, but a much smaller file size (64 kbps) here:
Rehtaeh (Heather Downing)
- Tolkien Moot Live Broadcast Coming August 13-15.
- Tolkien journal "Silver Leaves" releases articles with cover art by Ted Nasmith, other artwork and poetry, inspired J.R.R. Tolkien.
- Review article of the "Charles Ross" "One Man" "Lord of the Rings"
- Who are the two most mocked Lord of the Rings characters from the Lord of the Rings Peter Jackson movies?
- The fan film "Born of Hope" reviewed by The Macomb Daily
- The Hunt for Gollum (we mistakenly called it the search for Gollum)
- Michael's S.F. Fandom Blog
- Upcoming Oxonmoot
- Peter Jackson meeting with "The Hobbit" movie actors
- Heather discusses her views on Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies "vision" and compares to Walt Disney's "Snow White".
- Interview with Rehtaeh (Heather Downing) begins.
- Heather discusses the current opening song on her website www.rehtaehmusic.com, Aquitania
- Aquitania played in the background. 17:50
- The name "Aquitania" she created as the name of the sea spirit Heather wrote the song about. Only found out later that this was the same as the name of an actual ship.
- Heather uses Skype to collaborate with musicians overseas.
- Currently working with people in Wales, Greece, and Italy.
- Heather is premiering a brand new song at this year's Tolkien Moot 2010 August 13-15! This song premiere will be streamed live to the Internet as a "world premiere".
- Federicko Romano, Project from Milan Italy: "June 1974".
- Heather is working with various "finger style" guitarists.
- Worked with The Drumming Tribe in album Elementaria.
- Jerod Guth (spelling?)
- Heather inspired by Lisa Gerrard and Enya.
- Heather's muse is Hellen Trevellian (spelling?) from the U.K., also a self-made artist, found her on myspace.com, Hellen had a number of Tolkien poems.
- Enya May It Be (26:50)
- Professor Chris Seeman's Tolkien Music List
- Other Hands Magazine
- "Orc" "Band", ZA FRÛMI (Swedish group). (28:20)
- Tolkien had music scattered throughout his works.
- Where there's a whip, there's a way (29:20)
- The Tolkien Ensemble - Tom Bombadil (30:00)
- The Lament for Mithrandir (30:10)
- Rehtaeh's Shire at Dawn (31:05)
- A question from Ardamir in the irc.Merp.com #merpchat Internet Relay Chat room, and planning to buy her album as MP3's on Amazon.com.
- Grecian musician and singer, Herc Perilous, attempting to write complete music for The Hobbit.
- Heather Downing discusses her trip to New Zealand.
- Insert some snippet of his music around 33:35?
- Rehtaeh's "Elven Wedding Song" with her sister Kelly. 34:35
- Heather tries to keep her Quenya as "accurate" as possible, including getting help from The Elfling Tolkien Linguistic list.
- Popularity of Tolkien inspired Elven weddings.
- Heather worked with Michael Russo to help her with her Quenya pronunciation.
- Elven Wedding song is her most requested song when she performs live. 38:00
- Heather Downing was previously involved for a year with an "Epic" Metal Rock Band.
- Heather enjoys being able to sing a haunting style.
- Heather will be a featured guest vocalist on 1974's next album, coming out winter 2011.
- Heather's wonderful experience in New Zealand, and on The Hobbiton set tour, last month (most of which is under strong Non-Disclosure Agreement).
- One observation she made, was that the movies have a "slight grayish tint" compared to the vibrant color of the actual location.
- Heather feels the "shared vision" is much stronger in preparation for "The Hobbit" movies, compared to the earlier Lord of the Rings movies, since they have that common vision shared now.
- Behind the scenes, and Hobbiton photographer, Ian Brodie (spelling?).
- 70% of her motivation for being in New Zealand was inspired by wanting to see and "feel" the Middle-earth experience illustrated in the Peter Jackson movies.
- Heather feels Peter Jackson is "one of the greatest film makers of our time".
- Heather's "darker side", her next album, "Nightshade", being released this Winter, hoping for Christmas 2010, else a few months later.
- Lullabies, dreamscapes, evening sound inspirations, some more darkly epic pieces, some more gentle pieces too, a piece with just Heather's voice and a marimba player.
- "My ship is sailing into the west", moving from Kansas to California.
- Teasing Hawke about his height.
- The Tolkien Ensemble.
- Michael's suggestions for Middle-earth-based "Barbers Quartet".
- Music of Christopher Lee as "Treebeard" in background 56:10.
- Heather Downing wonders why there are not more performers like Rehtaeh, performing Tolkien-inspired music.
- Enya's Lothlorien and May It Be (background) 57:10
- Rehtaeh does not limit herself to only Elvish music, but does make sure to have at least one Elvish song per album, minimum.
- Glass Hammer, "Journey of the Dunadan", and "The Middle-earth Album"
- Dwarf and Orc snippet, 59:30.
- Glass Hammer music video of arwen and aragorn..... (link?).
- Michael's tangent on Georgia (the State).
- Performing artists and their struggles with Tolkien-related licensing from Tolkien Estate and/or Tolkien Enterprises.
- Anois www.anois.info 1:03:30
- Heather's cover of "Into the West" 1:04:30
- Neo-Quenya and derivatives
- Glass Hammer's The Ballad of Balin Longbeard 1:05:50
- Heather attempts to keep all her Tolkien-inspired pieces as original as possible.
- Heather's The Contemplation is her very first Elven piece. 1:06:40
- About Arwen's lament, in Quenya.
- Wishes to extend Howard Shore's, "Houses of the Healing" actually sung by Liv Tyler. 1:07:45
- Aragorn's "twitterpation" upon site of Arwen.
- Garb encouraged at Tolkien Moot 2010 this year, not required, but Heather, Hawke, and others will be in garb.
- Call to SCA folks for "loaner garb".
- Links to Other Minds Magazine, and specifically to the Morwinsky Maps.
- Much more detailed than Karen Fonstadd (spelling)
- Tolkien Moot "won out" against another Tolkien convention in the U.K. to have Rehtaeh, Heather Downing, peforming this year.
- Her performances will be broadcast live during her Tolkien Moot sessions.
- Interview/show styles.
- Michael Martinez's Raw Hobbit
- William Shatner's Raw Nerve
- Tolkien Youth Panel
- Heather's background in theater and "live" role playing "in character", but does not participate in paper and dice, computer-based, or live-action role playing.
- Recap of Hawke's Pun-ishment Imp Room
- Felicia Day's The Guild
- Hawke's microphone cut out, becoming "Silent Hawke".
- Rehtaeh will not be making it to this year's DragonCon.
- Wants to focus on more Tolkien-centric events and concerts in the future, thus the support of Tolkien Moot, because of it's focus on Tolkien.
- Jessica Butler "Elvish Music".
- Need to get more "Elvish Music" to go to Rehtaeh.
- Needs to say "Elvish Music" on www.rehtaehmusic.com
Metima Lenda (Final Journey)
Elven Singer Rehtaeh (Heather Downing)
Other Hands Magazine PDF Archives: ...
The Elfling list
Heather with rock band Hallucination: http://www.myspace.com/heathermdowning
Link to photo of Hawke dwarfing motorcycle.....
The Tolkien Ensemble: http://www.tolkien-ensemble.net/
Tolkien Moot RSVP: http://www.tolkienmoot.org